is a small market town and parish, giving title to a petty sessional
division, 2 1/2 miles south from the Humber, 2 west from the river
Ancholme, 4 1/2 north from Appleby station on the South Yorkshire
branch of the Great Central (late M. S. and L.) railway, 8 west-south-west
from Barton and 10 north-north-west of Brigg, in the North Lindsey
division of the county, parts of Lindsey, northern division of Manley
wapentake, Glanford Brigg union, Barton-upon-Humber county district,
rural deanery of Manlake archdeaconry of Stow, and diocese of Lincoln.
The town, which was from 1863 controlled by a Local Board, is now
governed by an Urban District Council of 12 members, formed under
the provisions of the "Local Government Act of 1894" (56
and 57 Vict. c. 73), and is lighted with gas by a company, and amply
supplied with water from pumps. The great Roman road, Ermine Street,
joining London, Lincoln and York, passes through this parish. The
church of All Saints is a handsome and spacious building of stone
in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, with
organ chamber on the north side, transept, nave of three bays, aisles,
north and south porches, and a western tower containing a clock and
6 bells, 5 cast in 1734, by Daniel Hedderly, and one in 1898, by Taylor,
of Loughborough : some of the windows are filled with modern stained
glass : over the communion table there is a painting of the "Holy
Family," by Raphael Mengs, presented by Lady Boynton : in the
floor of the chancel is a slab which has lost some of its brasses,
to John Rudd, merchant of the Staple at Calais, ob. 1504 : in the
chancel is a bas-relief of the arms of Peter Gering, ob. 1590 : a
grave slab of the Anglo-Saxon period now serves as the lintel of the
tower doorway : the chancel retains piscina and aumbry : the church
was restored during the period 1876-90, at a cost of £514, and
affords 465 sittings : the base and shaft of the old churchyard cross
remain near the south porch : in the churchyard is also a gravestone,
inscribed to William Teanby, who kept school in the church : he cut
the inscription himself, and used the stone as a table, while his
coffin served for a cupboard ; the inscription is a curious mixture
of Latin and English, and begins, "Prope Infra the turf lies
the sordid atoms of Alice, the wife of William Teanby, who died in
June, 1756, in the 31st year of her age" ; it ends with the record
of his own death in 1810 at the age of 97, added by a friend. The
register dates from about 1558, the earlier have been copied and the
rest carefully indexed by the late vicar. The living is a vicarage,
net yearly value £186, including 72 acres of glebe, with residence
in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held since 1898 by the Rev.
Charles Henry Gibbons. The Wesleyan chapel was built in 1877, at a
cost of about £3,000, and contains an organ : the old chapel,
erected in 1837, is now disused. A Lecture Hall was added in 1892,
at a cost of £600. The Primitive Methodist chapel was built
in1879, at a cost of about £1,500, and has attached a Sunday
school built at a cost of £200. A Cemetery of about 3 acres
in extent, with mortuary chapel and a house for the keeper, was formed
in 1876, at a cost of £2,000, and is under the control of a
burial board of 9 members. Jonathan Dent, an eccentric inhabitant
of this parish who died at the age of 91, was (at his own request)
buried in his garden : the tomb erected over his remains bears the
date 1834. The Police Station erected in 1853, includes a large hall.
The Oddfellows (formerly Temperance) Hall was built in 1850, at a
cost of £400. The fairs formerly held here have been transferred
to Scunthorpe. A corn market, established in 1826, is held every Wednesday
evening at the Cross Keys hotel. Agricultural implement and machine
making is carried on here, and an agricultural show takes place yearly
in the first week of July. Richd Beck, a surgeon, of Barton-upon-Humber,
left by his will, dated October 1728, two yearly rent-charges out
of the water-mill at Barrow, £3 3s. for educating poor children,
and £2 for the sick poor of this parish. A plot of land, of
nearly 3 acres, which lets for £6 a year was left for the repairs
of the church.
substructure of a Roman boundary mark was discovered in 1868 in
the side of a sand pit near the road to Winteringham. Two beautiful
tesselated Roman pavements, as well as urns and other Roman antiquities
were discovered many years ago at a spot about 3 1/2 miles east
of the village on the Cliff farm. The late William Fowler, antiquary
and engraver, resided here. Winterton Hall is the residence of Mrs.
Clarke. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late W.
H. Driffill, esq., Major John William Dent, of Ribston Hall, Wetherby,
James and Calvert Popple, esqrs. and the Rev. Canon Joseph Jonathan
Dent Dent M.A. vicar of Hunsingore, Wetherby, W. Yorks. The soil
is loam, clay and sand ; subsoil, oolite and lias. The chief crops
are potatoes and barley. The area is 3,818 acres ; rateable value,
£6,713 ; the population in 1891 was 1,500.
Clerk, Robert Young Nassau.
M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B.
& Annuity & Insurance Office. - Miss Sarah Jane Frow, postmistress.
Letters from Doncaster by mail cart from Appleby station arrive
at 8.17 a.m. & 7.10 p.m. ; dispatched at 9.10 a.m. & 5.55
p.m. to Doncaster & 7.10 p.m. to Hull. There is not a delivery
or dispatch of letters on sundays, but the letter box is open as
on other days. Money orders are granted & paid from 9 a.m. till
Wall Letter Boxes, Winteringham road & Park street, cleared
at 7.55 & 8 a.m. & 5.55, 6.10, 6.50 & 6.55 p.m. respectively
on week days only.
the first tuesday in every month at the Cross Keys hotel at 8 p.m.
Vice-chairman, Edwin Willford.
*John Rae Spilman.
***John William Goodwin.
***John Edagr Smith.
thus * retire in April, 1901.
Marked thus ** retire in April, 1902.
Marked thus *** retire in April, 1903.
Alfred Spencer ; offices, Queen street entrance.
Treasurer, William Henry Smith, York City & County Bank, Doncaster.
Medical Officer of Health, Roger Portington Goodworth L.R.C.P.Ed.
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Frederick Cross.
Collector, Robert Drinkall.
Inspectors under the Contagious Diseases (Animals) Act, John Lovitt,
Messingham & Geo. Holmes, Winterton.
Alfred Spencer, clerk to the burial board ; John Cheeseman, keeper.
County Police Station, one sergeant & one constable.
Fire Brigade, Richard B. Ayre, superintendent.
Oddfellows' Hall, Joseph Wade, sec.
Factory Surgeon, Medical Officer, Winterton District, Glanford Brigg
Union, & Medical Officer of Health, Roxby-cum-Risby Urban District
Council, & Police Surgeon, Roger Portington L.R.C.P. Edin.,
Collector of Assessed Taxes, Robert Drinkall.
Registrar of Births, Deaths & marriages for Winterton Sub-district,
Glanford Brigg Union, Jn Bainton, Scunthorpe.
Relieving Officer, Winterton District, Glanford Brigg Union, Joseph
Veterinary Inspector for the Board of Agriculture, Geo. Holmes.
(mixed), built in 1841, at a cost of £400, for 180 children
; average attendance, 86 ; Miss Isabelle Kearton, mistress.
Wesleyan (mixed), for 240 children ; average attendance, 147 ; John
Appleby - G. Harrison & C. Skelton, daily, to meet the 7.32,
10.2 & 10.6 a.m. & 6.5, 6.57 & 8.22 p.m. trains.
To Appleby - G. Harrison & C. Skelton, daily, to meet the 7.32,
10.2 & 10.6 a.m. & 6.5, 6.57 & 8.22 p.m. trains.
- Thomas Smith & Frederick Collingwood, mon.
Brigg - Geo. Harrison & Chas. Skelton, mon. thurs. & sat.
Hull - Thos. Smith & Fredk. Collingwood, tues. & fri.
Ferriby Sluice - Thomas Smith & Frederick Collingwood, mon.
tues. wed. fri. & sat.
Bennett, Mrs. C. L.
Booth, William Holgate, Low street.
Botham, Richard Henry.
Bust, Joseph Sherp.
Chaffer, Mrs Jane.
Clarke, Mrs. Winterton hall.
Donner, Herman Wilhelm, North st.
Drinkall, Robert, Northlands cottage.
Fowler, Miss, West st.
Fowler, Mrs. R.
Gibbons, Rev. Charles Henry (vicar), Vicarage.
Glasier, W. F. Central house.
Goodworth, Roger Portington J.P. Beech house.
Hall, Rev. John (Primitive Methodist).
Hall, James Walsham.
Henric, Mrs. Sarah, Hart lane.
Moon, Mrs. High street.
Pearce, Rev. William James (Weslyn.).
Popple, Mrs. Gilby house.
Spencer, Alfred, King street.
Spilman, John Rae J.P.
extract provides a description and history of Winterton. It has
been transcribed directly from the original directory.
is a small market town 2 1/2 miles south of the Humber, 2 miles
west of the Ancholme, 8 miles west-south-west of Barton, and 10
miles north-north-west of Brigg, in the Hundred of Manley, Union
of Brigg, diocese of Lincoln, and north division of the county.
The living is a vicarage, value £82, in the gift of the Crown
; the Rev. Thomas Smith, is the incumbent. The church, dedicated
to All Saints, is a handsome and spacious building in good repair,
with a tower and 5 bells ; the lower part of the tower is of Norman
architecture, and the remainder of the building is in the early
English style. The Wesleyans, Independents and Primitive Methodists,
have each a chapel. There is also a National school which will hold
200 children, built in 1841, on the north side of the church, and
which cost £400 raised by subscription. There are two fairs
for cattle held here, one on Tuesday before Palm Sunday, the other
on the 23rd of September ; the feast is held on the 6th of July,
and a weekly corn-market every Wednesday. The population, in 1841,
was 1,373 ; the acreage is 3,628 ; Samuel Slater, Esq., is lord
of the manor. There is a plot of land of nearly 3 acres, which lets
for £10 a year and is appropriated for the repairs of the
church ; Richard Beck left two yearly rent charges out of the water-mill
at Barrow, £3 3s. for educating poor children, and £2
for the sick poor of this parish. Mary Goodchild left £5 a
year to the poor ; they have also 20s. a year, left by one Nevil.
Tesselated pavements have been found here.
Barratt, Mr. John.
Bennett, Lucas M. esq.
Boynton, Lady, Winterton hall.
Bust, Mr. martin.
Coopland, Mrs Mary E.
Fowler, Mrs Eliza.
Fowler, Joseph, esq.
Hornsby, Mr. Joseph.
Maxsted, George, esq.
Popple, Mr. Joseph.
Richardson, John, esq. Northlands house.
Sadler, Joseph, esq.
Smith, Rev. Thomas [vicar].
POST OFFICE. - Henry Gliding, receiver. Letters are received
from Barton, arrive 12 noon, dispatched 1 p.m. same day.
CARRIERS TO -
BARTON - Robert East, Thomas Wells, mon.
BRIGG - Thomas Johnson, tues., thurs.& sat. ; Thomas Wells,
HULL - Robert East, John Saunderson, Thomas Wells, tues. &
This extract provides a description and history of Winterton.
It has been transcribed directly from the original directory.
|WINTERTON is a parish and small market town, giving title to a petty
sessional division, in the Northern division of the county, parts
of Lindsey, the northern division of Manley wapentake, Glanford Brigg
union, Barton-upon-Humber county district, rural deanery of Manlake
archdeaconry of Stow, and diocese of Lincoln, distant 2 1/2 miles
south of the Humber, 2 west from the river Ancholme, 4 north from
Appleby station, 8 west-south-west of Barton, and 10 north-north-west
of Brigg. The town is lighted with gas, and amply supplied with water,
and governed by a local board of health. The church of All Saints
is a handsome and spacious building in good repair, with a tower and
5 bells ; the lower part of the tower is of Norman architecture, and
the remainder of the building is in the Early English style : the
interior consists of chancel, nave, aisles and transepts : some of
the windows are filled with stained glass : over the communion table
there is a painting of the "Holy Family :" there is an organ,
built by Nicholson of Lincoln. The register dates from about 1558.
The living is a vicarage, yearly value £212 with residence,
in a gift of the Bishop of Lincoln, and held by the Rev. Edward Synge
Wilson. A National school, to hold about 180 children, was built in
1841, on the north side of the church, at a cost of £400, raised
by subscription : a Wesleyan day school was erected in 1850. There
are chapels for the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists ; in the former
is an organ by Nicholson, of Lincoln. The police station is a commodious
building, with hall for the petty sessions. Fairs for cattle are held
here, one on the Tuesday before Palm Sunday, another on the 23rd of
September, and a statute fair on the 9th May. The feast is held on
the 6th of July, and a corn market every Wednesday. Petty sessions
are held here on the first and third Fridays of every month. Agricultural
implement and machine making is carried on here, and stone is quarried,
which is used for plaster and cement. Here is a Temperance Hall. A
plot of land, nearly 3 acres, which lets for £13 a year, is
appropriated for the repairs of the church. A cemetery has been formed
east of the town, about three acres in extent, part of which remains
unconsecrated. Richard Beck left two yearly rent-charges out of the
water-mill at Barrow, £3 3s. for educating poor children, and
£2 for the sick poor of this parish. Winterton was evidently
occupied by the Romans, for in 1747 several beautiful tesselated pavements
were discovered, as well as urns and other Roman antiquities, on the
Cliff farm, the property of M. W. Clarke, esq., who resides at the
Hall, where there is a museum of antiquities. The great Roman road,
Ermine Street, passes through this parish. Messrs. Slater are lords
of the manor. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late
W. H. Driffill, esq., John Dent Dent, esq., and Joseph Popple, esq.
The soil is loam, peat and sand ; subsoil, oolite and lias. The chief
crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 3,628 acres ; rateable
value, £7,790 ; and the population in 1871 was 1,756.
Parish Clerk, Robert Nassau.
POST, MONEY ORDERS & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government
Annuity & Insurance Office. - Miss Charlotte Frow, sub-postmistress.
Letters from Brigg by mail cart, arrive at 9.30 a.m. ; dispatched
at 4 p.m. There is not a delivery or dispatch of letters in sundays,
but the letter-box is open as on other days. Money orders are granted
& paid from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.
COUNTY MAGISTRATES attending petty sessions (Winterton division)
Rev. C. Sheffield, chairman.
Sir R. Sheffield.
Rowland Winn, esq. M.P.
Rev. J. E. Cross.
Rev. C. Knowles.
Edward Peacock, esq.
J. Goulton-Constable, esq.
Clerk to the Magistrates, Thomas Freer.
The places in the division are : - Alkborough, Appleby, Ashby,
Bottesford, Burringham, Burton-upon-Stather, East Butterwick, Brumby,
Crosby, Flixborough, Frodingham, Gunhouse, West Halton, Holme, Manton,
Messingham, Raventhorpe, Roxby-with-Risby, Scunthorpe, Twigmoor,
Whitton, Winteringham, Winterton and Yaddlethorpe.
INSURANCE AGENTS : -
Britannia Fire, J. Browton.
Briton Life, J. Browton.
Crown Life, H. Naylor.
European Life, H. Smith.
Liverpool & London & Globe Fire, H. Smith.
Royal Farmers', G. Robinson.
Scottish Widows' Fund, Hett, Freer & Hett.
Sovereign Life, R. Drinkall.
Star Life, J. Browton.
Yorkshire Fire & Life, C. Cross.
PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS : -
Local Board of Health & Burial Board, Henry Liversidge, solicitor,
Inland Revenue Office, Cross Keys, Charles Dow, officer.
County Police Station, Joseph Wells, superintendent.
Registrar of Births & Deaths, Lucas M. Bennett.
SCHOOLS : -
National, Geo. Mann, master ; Eleanor Mann, mistress.
Wesleyan, John Browton, master.
CONVEYANCE : -
APPLEBY - Mail cart, daily, sunday excepted ; W. Foster, to meet
the 10.30 a.m. train.
BROUGHTON - Mail cart, daily, sunday excepted.
CARRIERS TO : -
ALKBOROUGH - George Tock, daily.
BARTON - James Sewell, mon. ; Thomas Smith, mon.
BRIGG - William Foster & William Smith, mon. tues. thurs. &
sat. ; mail cart, daily, sunday excepted.
BURTON-UPON-STATHER - Henry Clayton, thurs.
FLIXBOROUGH - George Hill, wed.
HULL - James Sewell, mon. tues. wed. fri. & sat. ; Thomas Smith,
tues. wed. fri. & sat.
WHITTON - George Tock, daily.
WEST HALTON - George Tock, daily.
WINTERINGHAM - Mail cart, daily, sunday excepted.
Beacock, Mrs. Henry.
Bennett, Lucas Marshall.
Burkill, Joseph, Northlands house.
Clarke. Michl. Wrangles, Winterton hall.
Goodworth, Roger Portington.
Pizey, Rev. Patrick [Wesleyan].
Popple, Joseph, Gilby house.
Smith, Rev. John G. [Primitive].
Wilson, Rev. Edward Synge [vicar].
This extract provides a description and history of Winterton. It
has been transcribed directly from the original directory.