Serving North Lincolnshire
| Home | Directory | Local Sites | Shopping | Search | Home Page
 Latest From
We would be grateful of any information & material which can be used on these pages. Thank You.
 Welcome To NORTHLINCS.COM - North Lincolnshire's Community Website

> Home > Places > Thornton Curtis > Kelly's Directory 1900 > 
Thornton Curtis - North Lincolnshire

   Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900

THORNTON CURTIS is a parish and scattered village with a station called Thornton Abbey station, 1 ½ miles east from the village, on the Brocklesby and Hull branch of the Great Central (late M. S. and L.) railway and is 5 miles south-east from Barton-on-Humber and 4 south from New Holland, in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts of Lindsey, northern division of Yarborough wapentake, Glanford Brigg union, petty sessional division and county court district of Barton-on-Humber, rural deanery of Yarborough No. 1 archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The church of St. Lawrence is a building of stone, in the early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with eight pinnacles and containing 5 bells: there is an Early Norman font, square in plan, the bowl, which is curiously carved, resting on a large central shaft, with a smaller one at each angle; the whole surface is enriched with sculpture in low relief; the oaken pulpit and communion table are of the 17th century: there is a singular monument near the south porch to Mr. Skinner, ob. 1626, and near to it is a very ancient and rude female bust: the church was restored in 1883-4, at a cost of over £3,000: an organ was erected in 1889 at a cost of £300: there are sittings for 300 person. The register dates from the year 1568. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £152, including 108 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of Lord St. Oswald, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Charles Bailey Goodacre B.A. of Hatfield Hall, Durham. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1850. About a mile and a half east of the village are the ruins of the Abbey of St. Mary, founded by William-le-Gros, Earl of Albemarle, on the festival of St. Hilary, January 13, A.D. 1139, and in the following year, on the same day of the same festival, the founder brought hither an establishment of twelve Augustinian, or Black Canons, from Kirkham Priory; one of the number being then constituted prior: in 1148 the monastery was raised by Pope Eugenius III to abbatial rank, and in 1517 became a mitred abbey: in 1541 it was dissolved and refounded by Henry VIII as a college for a dean and twenty prebendaries, in honour of the Holy Trinity; it was visited by the king in person in the same year, when he stayed several days: this new foundation, however, lasted only till 1547, when the site was granted to Henry Holbeach, Bishop of Lincoln, the clear yearly income being estimated at £594: the remains of the Abbey church are insignificant, the only existing portions being the end of the south transept and a fragment of the adjoining chapter house: within the area of the nave and the north transept are a number of stone coffins and incised slabs, and outside the east wall of the choir a slab with a very rich cross and marginal inscription to John Girdyk, 1363, and Johan, his wife: the ruins are generally of the Early Decorated period, the chapter house dating from 1282-1308, choir 1315, and the presbytery 1443-73: the remains of the Abbot's house is now a farm: the entrance gatehouse is one of the finest existing specimens in England of the Early Perpendicular style, and was built about 1382, the general plan being that of a parallelogram of two storeys, with octagonal towers at the angles and on either side of the entrance; the front is enriched with several canopied niches, from some of which the figures have disappeared; the three largest, however, remain, and are in a perfect state, the centre figure representing the Virgin Mary, to whom the abbey was dedicated, and over her head may be discerned a very rare and remarkable representation of the Holy Trinity; the Father is crowned, and holds in his hand the orb, the emblem of kingly power; the Son wears the crown of thorns, and they are both in the act of sending down the Holy ghost, in the form of a dove, upon the Blessed Virgin; to the left of the Virgin is the figure of an abbot holding a book and a pastoral staff; the figure to the right of the Virgin probably represents William-le-Gros, the founder: the roof of the gateway is handsomely groined, and there are some remains of the original oaken doors: the second storey is reached by a winding newel staircase, which has an elegant stone roof, with eight cusped ribs springing from corbels and meeting in the centre: the whole area of the abbey, surrounded by a wall and moat, was 100 acres. The principal landowners are the Earl of Yarborough P.C. the representatives of the late John Ferraby esq. and William Maw esq. The soil is light loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and potatoes. The population in 1891, including the hamlet of Burnham, 2 miles west, was 489. The area is 4,932 acres; rateable value, £6,332.


© Copyright 2003 - 2005 / HUB Computer Services

| Services  |  About Us | Contact Us | Terms of Site | Copyright Notice | Help | HUB Computer Services |