from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
near Brigg, is a large parish and pleasant
village, 2 ½ miles north from Elsham
station on the main line of the Great Central
(M.S. and L ) railway, 5 north-east from
Brigg and 6 south-west from Barton and 4
from Barnetby, in the North Lindsey division
of the county, parts of Lindsey, northern
division of the wapentake of Yarborough,
petty sessional division of Brigg, union
and county court district of Brigg, rural
deanery of Yarborough No 1, archdeaconry
of Stow and the diocese of Lincoln. The
church of St Clement, rebuilt in 1873-7,
on the ancient site, at a cost of £2,674,
defrayed by the trustees of the late T G
Corbett esq. is an edifice of stone, in
the Early English style, consisting of chancel,
nave, aisles, south porch and a western
tower with a small spire, containing a clock
and three bells: the piers, north aisle
window and tower arch are all either Saxon
or Norman and were carefully preserved and
reset: in the porch there is an ancient
tombstone, inscribed to a lady of the time
of James I. : the south-east window of the
chancel is a memorial to William and Thomas
Hesseltine, and was placed by William Hesseltine,
of Beaumont Cote, eldest son of the former,
and by the daughter of the latter: there
is an inscribed stone to John, 1st Baron
Bellasyse, of Worlaby, ob. 1689: the church
plate includes an ancient cup and cover
of hand-beaten silver, dated 1569. The register
dates from the year 1559. The living is
a vicarage, net yearly value £220,
including 11 acres of glebe, with residence,
in the gift of Sir Francis e. G. Astley
- Corbett, and held since 1895 by the Rev.
Arthur Hutchinson Lamb M.A. of Corpus Christi
College, Cambridge. There are Wesleyan and
primitive Methodist chapels here. Here is
a well built hospital, founded by John Bellasyse,
Baron of Worlaby, in the year 1663, for
four poor women; it is a structure of brick,
in good preservation, and under the control
and direction of the vicar and two trustees;
each inmate receives 2s. per week. The property
now belongs to the Duke of Newcastle, who
has lately (1900) put it in thorough repair.
In the centre of the village is a drinking
fountain, erected in 1873 by the late Sir
John Dugdale Astley bart. at a cost of £100.
In 1897 an oak tree was planted on the village
green in commemoration of the Queen's Jubilee.
Sir Francis E G Astley-Corbett bart. of
Elsham Hall, is lord of the manor and chief
landowner. The soil of about one-half the
parish is of fine chalk subsoil and highly
fertile; the other part of the parish, viz.
the Carrs, consists of a clay subsoil of
rather black nature. The chief crops are
wheat, barley, oats and good pastureland.
The area is 3,341 acres of land and 8 of
water; rateable value, £4,751; the
population in 1891 was 540.
Post and M.O.O.& S. B. & Annuity
& Insurance Office. (Railway Sub-Office.
Letters should have R.S.O. Lincs. added).
- George Rowson, sub-postmaster. Letters
arrive from Lincoln at 8 am and 3pm; dispatched
at 9.10am and 5.15pm. The nearest telegraph
office is at Elsham railway station, 3 miles
National School (mixed), erected in 1872,
at the sole cost of the trustees of the
late T. G. Corbett esq. for 100 children;
average attendance, 96; the school was enlarged
in1884 to receive 45 additional children;
it is supported by the trustees and managed
by a committee, consisting of the vicar,
churchwardens, overseers and ten parishioners;
George Chandler, master.
Barton - George Girdham, Mon.; George Green,
Mon. Wed. Fri. and Sat.
Brigg - Geo. Girdham, Thurs.; Thos. Hoodlass
Thurs. and Sat.
Hull - Thomas Hoodlass, Tues. and Fri.;
Geo Girdham, Tues. and Fri.