Ferriby is a parish and pretty
well-built village, on the south bank
of the Humber, 3 miles west from Barton
Station on the Great Central (late M S
and L) railway and 7 west from New Holland,
in the North Lindsey division of the county,
parts of Lindsey, north division of Yarborough
wapentake, Glanford Brigg union, Barton-on-Humber
petty sessional division and county court
district, rural deanery of Yarborough
No. 1, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese
The church of St Nicholas, which is but
the mutilated remnant of a much larger
church, is a singular structure, consisting
of nave, south transept, north porch and
an embattled tower, with pinnacles, at
the south-east angle, containing 3 bells:
over the porch is an ancient semicircular
stone, on which is a sculptured a figure
of St Nicholas, vested in alb and mitre,
and holding a pastoral staff in his left
hand; and on either side are symbolical
figures of the sun and moon; in 1869 the
church was repewed and restored at a cost
of £350, and in 1889 was again restored
and a sacrarium built at a cost of £1,092,
by the Right Rev. Bishop Tozer D.D. then
rector: there are 200 sittings. The register
dates from the year 1538. The living is
a rectory, net yearly value £230,
including 127 acres of glebe and residence,
in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln,
and held since 1889 by the Rev. James
Spawforth. From ecclesiastical records
it appears that the parish was formerly
divided into North and South Ferriby.
There is a church estate, consisting of
15 acres and 5 cottages, held in trust
by the rector and church wardens and R
N Sutton-Nelthorpe esq. of Scawby, the
Rev. R C W Ekins, vicar of Horkstow, W
K Waddingham esq. of Elsham and W Walker
esq. of Hull, the product of which is
to be expended in the maintenance of the
church and the services thereof. There
are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Chapels.
The temperance Hall is a structure of
brick, erected in 1882, at a cost of £130.
There is also a large reading room, erected
in 1884, by R N Sutton-Nelthorpe esq.
at a cost of £200. Brick and tile
making is extensively carried on here.
There is a quarry of chalk and stone.
Ferriby Hall, a mansion of brick, is now
in the occupation of William Tombleson
esq. The principal landowners are Robert
Nassau Sutton-Nelthorpe esq. of Scawby,
who is lord of the manor, William Kitchen
Waddingham esq. of Elsham, and the rector.
The soil is chalky; subsoil, chalk. The
chief crops are wheat, turnips and barley.
The area is1,594 acres of land, 20 of
water, 441 tidal water and 365 of foreshore;
rateable value, £2,902; the population
in1891 was 638.
SLUICE, 1 mile west, is a hamlet in this
parish, on the bank of the river Humber
and the Wear Dyke. A lecture hall has
been erected here by M Clark esq. of Winteringham
Hall, at a cost of £100.