Entry from White's Directory for 1842
KIRTON-in-LINDSEY is a
small but ancient market town, pleasantly
seated on a commanding eminence, on the
western ridge of the Wolds, 8 miles S.W.
of Glanford Brigg, 10 miles N.E. by E. of
Gainsbro', and 18 miles N. of Lincoln. It
increased its population from 1542, in 1831,
to 1769 souls, in 1841; and its parish contains
4585 acres of land, partly freehold, but
mostly leasehold and copyhold, held by Sir
M. J. Cholmely, and the Fox, Fowler, Richardson,
and many other families, some of whom have
neat mansions here, the largest of which
are Kirton Grange, the seat of Thos. Fowler
Esq.; and Mount Pleasant, the seat of J.
R. T.Richardson Esq. The Manor and Soke
of Kirton has a paramount jurisdiction,
extending over several other parishes. It
anciently formed part of the possessions
of the Earls of Cornwall, and since 1337,
it has been a parcel of the Duchy of Cornwall,
now possessed by the infant , Prince of
Wales, that Duchy always being held by the
heir apparent to the crown. Robert Moreton,
the first Earl of Cornwall, received a grant
of Kirton soon after the Norman Conquest.
R.R.Fox Esq., holds the manorial estates,
under the Duchy of Cornwall, and Charles
Holgate, Esq., coroner, is a steward of
the Manor and Soke, for which courts are
held in the Duchy Court House, a neat brick
building, on the Kirton Green, where the
records are kept. The custom of Borough
English still prevails in this manor. Quarter
sessions for the North Division of Lindsey,
are held here on the Fridays of the usual
weeks; and here is a large House of Correction
and Sessions House. The latter is in the
centre of the main front, and has a spacious
Court Room, which is used also as a chapel.
Over it is the Grand Jury Room, and on the
west side are the gaoler's apartments. The
north wing is appropriated to male, and
the south wing to female prisoners.
The Market, held every Saturday, is not
of much importance, but here are still two
large fairs, on July 18th, and Dec. 11th,
for cattle, horses,pedlery, &c.