- Parish & Village
is a parish and pleasant village, extending to
the navigable river Ancholme, over which is a
suspension bridge; it is 4 miles south-west from
Barton station on the branch of the Great Central
(late M. S. and L.) railway and 9 north from Brigg,
in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts
of Lindsey, North division of Yarborough Wapentake,
Glanford Brigg union, Barton-upon- Humber petty
sessional division and county court district,
rural deanery of Yarborough No.1, archdeaconry
of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The church of
St Maurice is an ancient edifice of brick and
stone, partly in the Early English style, and
consists of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch
and a small western tower containing 3 bells:
the interior was partially restored in 1868, at
a cost of £450, and the exterior of the
nave and the tower in 1895, at a cost of £500:
in the church is a handsome tablet to the late
Admiral Shirley, fifth son of the late Earl Ferrers:
there are 190 sittings. The register dates from
the year 1556. The living is a vicarage, net yearly
value£150, with residence, in the gift of
the Earl of Yarborough, and held since 1897 by
the Rev. Robert Charles Warre Ekins. There are
Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. In 1796
fragments of the tessellated pavement of a long
narrow room, divided into three compartments,
were found in a field near, one of these having
a most singular representation of a Roman chariot
race; other portions contained mutilated figures
of the "Fates", attended by genii, Nerieids
and tritons; Roman coins have also been found.
The Earl of Yarborough P.C. who is lord of the
manor, and Calthrop Johnstone Calthrop esq. of
Horkstow Hall, are the principal landowners. The
soil is chalk and marl; subsoil, chalk and clay.
The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and pasture.
The area is 2,119 acres of land and 19 of water;
rateable value, £2,7111; the population
in 1891 was 243.
Post Office. - Mrs. Ann R. Hodlin, sub-postmistress.
Letters from Hull, which arrive 8.10am; dispatched
4.55pm. Postal orders are issued here, but not
paid. The nearest money order and telegraph office
is at South Ferriby, 1mile distant
National School (mixed), built in 1858, by the
Earl of Yarborough, at a cost of £150, for
60 children; average attendance, 43; Mrs Emily
Carriers. - Richard Hoodlass, to Brigg, Tues.
Thurs. and Sat.; William Green, to Barton, Mon.
Wed. Fri. and Sat.; William Trippett and others,
to Hull, Tues. and Fri.