NORTHLINCS.COM - North Lincolnshire's Community Website Home Page
| Home | Forum - Message Boards  | Local Links Directory |

> Home > Horkstow > 
Horkstow Bridge - North Lincolnshire
Horkstow Bridge - Horkstow In North Lincolnshire


Horkstow Bridge

 Horkstow Bridge
River: River Ancholme
Era: Georgian
Engineer: Sir John Rennie
Span: 133ft 9in
Width: 14ft roadway 
Height: 36ft above River
Completion Date: 1936


Horkstow Bridge

OS grid reference: SE973190
Situated 1 mile south of South Ferriby & 2 miles west of the B1204


Horkstow Bridge


Horkstow Bridge is one of the earliest surviving suspension bridges in the country. It is unusual small suspension dating back to 1835-6. The bridge has two elegant classical style arched towers made of rusticated stone. The wooden plank decking is suspended by double wrought iron chains. The decking is of a convex shape and moves about when crossing in a car.


Horkstow Bridge


Horkstow Bridge was built originally to cross the New River Ancholme to give access to the Brick Kilns that run along the River Banks. This is one of 7 bridges that was built as part of the New River Ancholme Drainage Scheme.
Today, it is used by farmers, ramblers, anglers & cyclists.
The bridge is still open to vehicles however there is only a dirt track running along the west bank of the river.


Horkstow Bridge


The bridge was designed by Sir John Rennie and is one of a handful in Britain to have remained as originally designed. As a result it is regarded to be of historical importance and was restored in the late 90's. Structural repairs were carried out and the accommodation bridge was re-decked and re-cabled by Spencers who received the Historic Bridge Award in 1999.


Horkstow Bridge

 Related Links

Engineering Timelines
Environmental Agency


| Top |

© Copyright 2003 - 2006 / HUB Computer Services

| Services  |  About Us | Contact Us | Terms of Site | Copyright Notice | Help | HUB Computer Services |