Home Site Map Services Contact Us About Us Search The Web

  
North Lincolnshire A-Z of Places Local Websites Directory Useful Info Help
Elsham - Local History

| Place Name | Origins | Population | Kelly's Directories |
Place-Name
The Doomsday Book (1086) referred to the village as "Eleham".


Other names - for the village include "Elesham".

The name - can be translated to "Homestead or village of a man called Elli".

| Top |
Origins


| Top |
Population Through The Years
Date
Population
1801
310
1811
347
1821
383
1831
471
1841
458
1851
448
1861
409
1871
443
1881
502
1891
457
1901
434
1911
424
1921
421
1931
358
1951
554
1961
257
1971
275
1981
313
1991
380


| Top |
Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900

Elsham (or Aylesham) is a parish and a village, with a station 11/2 miles south east on the Yorkshire Branch, and 2 miles north of the junction at Barnetby of that and the Lincoln branches with the main line of the Great Central (late M. S. and L.) railway, 4 north-east from Brigg and 167 from London, in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts of Lindsey, north division of Yarborough wapentake, Brigg petty sessional division, union and county court district, rural deanery of Yarborough No. 1, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The church of All Saints is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, with vestry and chamber above, and a small western tower containing 3 bells; it was restored in 1873-4, at a cost of £2,419, by the trustees of the late J. G. Corbett esq.; Col. Sir John D Astley bart. presented the stain glass window in memory of Reginald Leonard, his second son, who died in 1870: the base of the tower forms a porch, in which are two stones carved with figures: the chancel retains its piscina and a brass to the Thompson and Corbett families, 1702-1868: in 1896 a clock and inscribed brass were erected in memory of the late Sir John Dugdale Astley bart. of Elsham Hall, MP d, 1894, and a memorial window has been placed to the late John and Sarah Dunn, and Muriel Elsden: there are sittings. The register dates from the year 1566. The living is the vicarage, net yearly value £97, including 3 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Sir F. E. G. Astley Corbett bart. and held since 1899 by the Rev.George Lewthwaite BA of Keble College Oxford. Here is a small Wesleyan Chapel, seating about 100 persons. The Primitive Methodists hold their services in a private house. The charities amount to £6 yearly. Elsham Hall is a modern building of brick, standing in a park of 150 acres, the property of Sir Francis Edmund George Astley-Corbett bart. of 45 Cadogan Gardens, London SW, lord of the manor and sole landowner. The soil is limestone and sand; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and oats. The area is 4,154 acres; rateable value, £5,323; the population in 1891 was 457.


| Top | 

Copyright 2003 - 2005