Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
15. Dec 2017 at 21:30
News: Visit YaBB today Wink
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900 (Read 6734 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
05. May 2007 at 22:19
 
WOOTTON is a parish and pleasant village, about 3 miles from each of the railway stations of Thornton Abbey, Ulceby and Brocklesby on the Great Central (M. S. and L.) railway, 5 south-east from Barton and 6 south from New Holland, in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts of Lindsey, northern division of the county, parts of Lindsey, northern division of Yarborough hundred, Glanford Brigg union, Barton-upon -Humber petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Yarborough No. 1, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The church of St. Andrew is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower with four pinnacles and containing a clock and 3 bells: the chancel retains a piscina and there is one at the east end of each aisle: there are ten stained windows: the church was restored in 1851, and has over 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1563. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 225, including 160 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of, and held since 1873 by, the Rev. William Walter George Giffard B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge and J.P. Lincs. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. A reading room has been bequeathed to the parish by the late Mrs. Eddie. The poor have 10s. and the vicar 10s. yearly, left by John and Samuel Faulding, of Wootton: the former sum is distributed yearly in bread. Wooton Hall, the seat of Miss Ferraby, and built in 1796, is a brick mansion, standing in a park of about 114 acres. The Earl of Yarborough P.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is partly loam, chalk and clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 3,065 acres; rateable value, 4,010; the population in 1891 was 506, estimated 450 in 1900.  
 
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print