Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
21. Oct 2017 at 11:16
News: Visit YaBB today Wink
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Church of St Nicholas (Read 6094 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Church of St Nicholas
24. Jun 2006 at 07:49
 
The church of St Nicholas, which is but the mutilated remnant of a much larger church, is a singular structure, consisting of nave, south transept, north porch and an embattled tower, with pinnacles, at the south-east angle, containing 3 bells: over the porch is an ancient semicircular stone, on which is a sculptured a figure of St Nicholas, vested in alb and mitre, and holding a pastoral staff in his left hand; and on either side are symbolical figures of the sun and moon; in 1869 the church was repewed and restored at a cost of 350, and in 1889 was again restored and a sacrarium built at a cost of 1,092, by the Right Rev. Bishop Tozer D.D. then rector: ....[entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]  
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print