Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
12. Dec 2017 at 16:13
News: YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whites Gazeteer  1842 (Read 14207 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Whites Gazeteer  1842
17. Jun 2006 at 15:43
 
Crowle, an extract from Whites Gazeteer and directory of Lincolnshire 1842  
CROWLE, a small market-town near the channel of the old river Don, 6 miles N.of Epworth, and 17 miles N. by W. of Gainsbro', increased its habitants from 1889, in 1831, to 2235 souls, in 1841, and has in its township about 6000 acres of land, including the hamlet of Ealand, 1 mile S.E.; Crowle Wharf, on the Stainforth and Keadby canal 1. 1/4 mile S. of the town; and about 500 acres of moorland, laying within the Yorkshire border, and assessed to the county- rates of the West-Riding, though there is no dwelling upon it. Crowle parish includes also Eastoft township, and many parts of it has been fertilized by the warping process. Its market, formerly held every Saturday, is now only held every Monday fortnight, during the months of March, April and May. Here are two annual fairs for cattle, flax, &e., held on the last Monday in May, and on Nov. 23rd, or old Martinmus day; and another was formerly held on Sept. 4th. The old Don is now only a small brook, but the surrounding country is so intersected on every side by drains, canals, and embankments, as to give it the appearance of a Dutch settlement. Earl Manvers is lord of the manor of Crowle, but the greater part of the soil belongs to numerous freeholders and copyholders; the later subject to fines, varying from 1. 1/2 to 1. 3/4  years' annual value. Among the principal owners are the Lightfoot, Brunyee, Maw, Johnson, Margrave, Drury, and other families. In 1747, the body of a woman was found at the depth of six feet, in the Peat Moor, near Crowle, in an erect position; and though, from the antique sandals on her feet, she appeared to have been there several centuries, her hair and nails were as fresh as when living; and the skin was soft and strong, though of a tawny colour.
 
 
The Church (St Oswald,) has undergone many repairs, but still retains a little of its original Saxon architecture. It is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at 14. 10s. and now at 777, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Godfrey Egremont, for whom the Rev. James Johnson officiates. The Rectory is in the impropriation  of R.P.Johnson, Esq. ; but the tithes were commuted at the enclosure of  Godnow Common and Crowle Moor, when about 500 acres were awarded to the vicar. There are in the town four chapels, belonging to the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, the Independents, and the General- Baptists. Three houses, with extensive common-rights, and ten acres of land, were bequeathed to this parish, for the education and relief of the poor, by Richard Brewer, in 1687; Thos. Walkwood, in 1692; and Richd. Clark, in 1721. The land and common-rights were exchanged at the enclosure for 21A. 3R.10p. of copyhold, but  tithe -free land, and the sum of 206.The later was expended in repairing the buildings, and the whole estate is now let for 59. 10s. per annum. The trustees pay the schoolmaster 32 a-year, for teaching 32 free scholars, besides an allowance for coals; and they distribute about 9 yearly among the poor, and retain the remainder to provide for fines, repairs, &c.
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Re: Whites Gazeteer 1842
Reply #1 - 17. Jun 2006 at 15:44
 
CROWLE.
Post Office, at Miss My. Tonge's; Letters are despatched by the Bawtry Mail-gig at 1/2 past 8 morning, and recieved at 4 afternoon.
Bacchus Thos. Veterinary Surgeon
Bassindale Mrs Ann
Brunyee Nathaniel, Esq.
Brunyee John, collector of taxes
Collinson Mrs Amelia
Cundall Robert, Gentlman
Fretwell Mrs Elizabeth
Glew John, Brewer & Porter Mercht
Lightfoot Thomas Esq
Margrave Enoch Wilson, gent. Ealand
Maw Henry Lister; Esq. Tetley Hall
Pearson Thos. Turner, Solicitor
Sharp John, Veterinary Surgeon
Sidney John Hy.M. Officer of Excise
Stevenson Micheal, Gardener
Taylor James, Gentleman
Tonge Wm. Johnson, currier
Winteringham, Mrs Eliz. & Sarah
   
   
 
     
 ACADEMIES
Billingd Rev Dnl.
D. (Bapt)
Blunt Wm.
Bower M.M.
Richardson Wm.and Son
Taylor John,ast.
Young Wm.
AUCTIONEERS
Autey Richd.
Chapman Wm.
(registrar and surveyor)
BAKERS
Holmes Thos.
Palmsworth Jno.
BLACKSMITHS
Sainforth Geo.
Taffender Wm.
Thorpe James
BOOT&SHOEMaKRS
Barratt Richd.
Blackburn Jas.
Cook John
Eyre Henry
Fretwell Geo.
Holah Thomas, Ealand
Holmes Elijah
Janney George
Mapples John
Maw Solomon
Maw Wm.
Pilsworth Robt.
Sarganston John
 
 
BRICKLAYERS
Adamsom Robt.
Adamson Thos.
Midleton Chas.
Midleton Jas.
Walker James.
BUTCHERS
Aldam Cornilius.
Isle Peter.
Sales John.
Stephenson John.
COAL MERCHANTS
Maw John.(and corn, &c.)
Robinson Geo. (& stone,) wharf.
Scholfield Geo. (& potato)
Tune Wm.
CORN-MILLERS
Brown George
Hind John ( and brick and tile mkr)
Maw Richard.
Nutt Henry.
DRESS MAKERS
Cheesman Selina
Sales and Auckland
DRUGGISTS
Blunt Wm
Sutton Thos.
FARMERS
(1 live at Ealand, & * are owners)
Aldam John, (triangle(
*Atkinson Wm.
1*Brown Jno.jun
*Bellamy Richd,
*Brunyee John
Brunyee Thos.
1 Clark Wm.
1* Chester John
Cocking George,
MORLEY HALL
*1Crane Thos.
Cranidge Enoch
*Cranidge Peter
*Cranidge P. jun
*Cundall Wm.
Dowson Wm.
1* Drewry John
1* Drewry Robt,
WARPS
Ducker  Samuel
1 Foster John
1* Furniss Wm.
Glossop Peter
Hanson Richd
Harrison Israel
Harrison Thos.
Hind Anderson
Hind Jas. Grange
*Hind John
Hodgson Thos. (corn merchant)
Holmes Jane
1*Jennings Rhd.
* Johnson John
Lenton Thos.
Margrave Wm.D.
Maw John
Maw Richard
Maw Robert
*Maw Samuel. and Cornelius
*Mitchel James
Pearson George
Pidd George
Ramery John
1 Ramery Juo. jun
1 Richardson Jno.
Robinson Geo.
Sales John
* Scholey Mdk. Smack Farm
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print