Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
28. Jun 2017 at 11:41
News: YaBB is sponsored by XIMinc!
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whites Gazeteer 1842 (Read 11728 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Whites Gazeteer 1842
17. Jun 2006 at 15:37
 
Broughton, an extract from Whites Gazeteer and directory of Lincolnshire 1842
Broughton, a large and pleasant village, with much sylvan scenery, 3 miles W.N.W. of Brigg, has in its parish 915 souls and nearly 7000 acres of land, including the hamlets of Manby and Gokewell, on the wolds, N. W. of the village, and Castlethorpe, 1.5 miles W. of Brigg.  It is situated on the Roman Road from Lincoln to Winteringham-on -Humber, and had its name from the large barrow or brough near the west end of the village.  Horsley supposes it to have been the Roman station, Pretorium, where, about A.D.400, the prefect of the Dalmatian Horse was stationed.  Numerous coins, bricks, tiles, and other Roman remains, have been found here and in the neighourhood.  Ellys Anderson Stephens, Esq., and the Earl of Yarborough, own most of the soil, and the former is lord of the manor.They both represent branches of the Anderson family, who were anciently seated here, at Manby Hall, a neat mansion with woody pleasure grounds, 4 miles N.W. of Brigg, now occupied by the Earls oldest son, the Honourable Charles Anderson Worsley Pelham, who bears his fathers secondary title of Lord Worsley, and is one of the parliamentary representatives of the North Division of Lincolnshire.  the manor was anciently held by the Radford family, one of whom, Sir Henry Radford, was attainted for high treason in 1455.  The Church (St. Mary) is a large neat structure, which has been extensively repaired, and has in its chancel several monuments of the Radford and Anderson Families, with a few fine brasses and alabaster effigies.  the Rectory, valued in K.B. at 21, and now at 824, is in the gift of E.A. Stephens, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Hy. deBrett, B.C.L., who has a neat Rectory House, built in 1830, and a yearly modus in lieu of tithes, besides 172 acres of glebe.  The Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have each a Chapel here, the latter built in 1841.  The parish has a decoy and some well drained marshes near the River Ancholme and includes about 1200 acres of woodland, and a common of 600 acres, on which the poor have a horse gate, let for 3 per annum, which is paid to the schoolmaster, together with 10 a year, from 100 and two cottages, derived from the bequest of Catharine Thompson, in 1713.  For these two sums he teaches 20 poor children.
 
 
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Re: Whites Gazeteer 1842
Reply #1 - 17. Jun 2006 at 15:38
 
Residents of Broughton
Lord Worsley, M.P. Manby Hall
De Brett, Hy., B.C.L., rectory
Bainton Mathew, Blacksmith
Barton John, Grocer and Draper
Catley Thomas, Grocer
Eglington Thomas,Wheelwright
***** John, Carrier to Brigg
Hunter Edward, Corn Miller
Fox Joseph, Shoemaker
Goates John, Tailor
Howden Arthur, Schoolmaster
Johnson Thomas, Mason
Lowe Amos, Tailor
Metcalfe Wm., Shoemaker
Parish Wm., Wheelwright
Shaw Wm., Victualler, Red Lion
Thirkill N., Gamekeeper to Lord Worsley
Wetherill John, Beerhouse and Wheelwright
Winn John, Draper and Grocer
Farmers
* are in Castlethorpe
Barton John
Beaulah John
Brown William, Gokewell
Chafer John
*Clark Jno., tanner and Maltster
*Clark Joseph
Day Edward
Empson Charles
Gildin Joseph
*Grantham Dnh.
Hocknel George
Marshall James
Neal Wm.
*Nickolson Wm.
Parish John
Popple James
Raynes Michael
Shaw Wm.
Smith John Butcher Decoy
 
 
Walsham Ann
 
 
 
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print