Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
24. Mar 2017 at 13:59
News: Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whites Gazeteer 1842 (Read 12856 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Whites Gazeteer 1842
17. Jun 2006 at 15:28
 
Belton, an extract from Whites Gazeteer and directory of Lincolnshire 1842
Belton, a large village,2 miles N. of Epworth, has in its parish 1642 souls and about 8000 acres of land, including Carhouse, Mosswood, Woodhouse, and Westgate, 1 mile W. and N.W.; Beltoft, 1.5 mile E.; and Sandtoft, 3 miles W.N.W. of the village; also Temple Belwood, the elegant mansion of R.P. Johnson, Esq.,embosomed in an extensive grove, 3 miles N. of Epworth; and Hurst Priory, the handsome seat of Cornelius Hartshorn Stovin, Esq., pleasantly seated near the New Torne river or drain, 2 miles S. of Crowle.  A fair is held at Belton, on September 25th, chiefly for the sale of line or flax, which is extensively grown in the neighourhood.  Thos. Lightfoot Esq., is lessee of the manor, under the Crown, but the soil belongs to many freeholders and copyholders, the largest of whom are R.P. Johnson, Esq., (owner of about one third of the parish;) the Corporation of Lincoln, owners of the rectorial land and tithes, (worth 1500 per annum;) C. H. Stovin Esq., Earl Manvers and the Dent, Tomline, Ingilby, Tyas, Belwood, Skipworth, and other families.  There lies near the surface, in this parish and neighbourhood, a stratum of excellent gypsum;  and a quarry has lately been opened, on an estate belonging to the Reverend Thos. Skipworth, who has erected a steam engine, and other machinery, by which it is manufactured into plaster for floors and ceilings &c., and into lime for manure; to all of which purposes it is admirably adapted: indeed, as a fertiliser of the soil, it is highly beneficial;  and one ton, which may be had for 1. 15s., delivered on the Trent, is a sufficient top-dressing for four or five acres.
   
 Ancient coins, spears, battle axes, &c., have been found  in the parish.  Near the mansion called Hurst Priory, was a cell of Augustine Canons, annexed to Nostal abbey,  and valued at the dissolution at 5.10s.1d; but all traces of it are gone.  The Dutch and Flemish Protestants who assisted Vermuden in the drainage of the levels, in the reign of Charles 1., erected a chapel, with a house for the Minister, at Sandtoft, but it went to decay after the death of the fifth incumbent.  Sandtoft Grove, a neat farmhouse, embowered in trees, is the property of G.A. Belwood Esq.  Sandtoft was given,  by one of the Mowbrays, to St. Marys Abbey, York, and had for some time a  small Benedictine Cell.  Beltoft was anciently the seat of the Sheffield family.  Belton church (All Saints) is a large and handsome fabric, of the age of Henry V1., and has in its chancel three stone stalls, a piascina, and a tomb, bearing the recumbent figure of a knight in armour.  The Rectory, valued in K.B. at 32.2s.2.5d., is in the impropriation of the Corporation of Lincoln, who are also patrons of the curacy, now enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Skipworth, who occupies the Rectory House, (a neat mansion, with tasteful grounds,) and receives from the benefice about 200 a year.  Belton Grange, a farm of 516a., was allotted in lieu of part of the tithes for 950 per annum.  Sir John Ferne, author of "The Blazon of Gentrie," was born at Temple Belwood, the seat of his family, and died about 1610, leaving several sons, one of whom became Bishop of Chester.  The poor parishioners have the following yearly doles, viz., about 30. from 17a. 2r. 39p. of land, left by John Lightfoot, in 1708, except 11a. 1r. 34p., allotted at the enclosure;-20 yards of blue cloth, and 10s. in money, left by Robt. Bernard, and charged on an estate here, now belonging to Richd. Tyas, esq., of Doncaster;-12 yards of blue cloth, left by Stephen Caister, and charged on land now belonging to Mr. Thos. Theaker;-and 4. 15s. in five rent charges, derived from the bequests of Geo. Meggott, Jane Beard, and Fres. Glew.  The gift of the latter was about 3 acres of land, now held by three persons, subject only to 1. 15s. per annum, in the shape of rent charges.
 
 
 
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Re: Whites Gazeteer 1842
Reply #1 - 17. Jun 2006 at 15:29
 
   
 Residents of Belton Parish.
marked 1 reside at Beltoft; 2, Bracken; 3, Carhousee; 4, Church Town; 5, Mosswood; 6, Sandtoft; 7, Westgate; 8, Woodhouse; and the rest in Belton, or where named  
4 Burtwhistle Thomas, Schoolmaster
1 Collinson John, Solictor
7 Everatt David, Butcher
Johnson Robert Popplewell, Esq., Temple Belwood
6 Hague George, Beerhouse
4 Leggott John, Butcher
Maw John, Gentleman
4 Platts Robert, Constable
7 Pilgrim john, Schoolmaster
Skipworth Rev. Thos. Rectory
Stovin Cornelius H., Esq., Hirst Priory
Threadgould Geo. Engineer Hirst Priory
Tune Edward, Beerhouse
4 Wall James, Butcher
Wells James, gent. Grey Green
Public Houses
4 Bulls Head, Gervas Wm. Maw
4 Crown, Richard Kelsey
2, Sir Solomon, Wm. Burtwhistle
6, stag, George Hinslea
7, Wheatsheaf, Isaac Oldfield
 
Blacksmiths.
4 Ross John
7 Snowden Wm.
7 Temperton Jno.
Corn Millers
7 Cawkwell Jno.
7 Everatt John
7 Fillingham Ts.
Farmers
2 Bassindale Edmund
2 Bingley John
1 Bowman Jas.
1 Brown Robert
Burtwhistle John
2 Burtwhistle William
Carr Edward H. Grange
1 Champion Jno.
7 Dale John
7 Gell George
7 Gervas Peter
1 Harrison John
1 Harrison Wm. Sandtoft Grove
Heanley John Plains House
Hickson Edward Belwood
Hirst Saml. Dirtness Bridge
8 Houlton James
7 Hutson Geoffrey
Hutson Maemdk.
7 Jackson Wm.
Jennings Thomas
7 Kyman Rd.
7 Kyman Thos.
Lambert Robert
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print