Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
28. Jun 2017 at 11:35
News: Signup for free on our forum and benefit from new features!
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Whites Gazeteer 1842 (Read 9533 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Whites Gazeteer 1842
17. Jun 2006 at 15:27
 
Barrow on Humber, an extract from Whites Gazeteer and directory of Lincolnshire 1842
YARBOROUGH WAP. (NORTH DIV.)
BARROW-upon-Humber, is a large and well built village, on an eminence, 3 miles E. of Barton, 5 miles S.S.W. of Hull, and 1, 1/2 miles S. of the Humber, commanding an extensive view of that river and the Yorkshire shore. Its parish contains 1336 souls, and upwards of 4600 acres of land, including a tract of rich salt marshes, the farms called Barrow-Hand; Barrow Old Ferriby, 2 miles N. by W. of the village,and the modern hamlet of NEW HOLLAND, where a large Inn was built on the Humber bank, about ten years ago; the turnpike extended it , and every other necessary accommodation provided for the establishment of a ferry from Hull in connection with the London and other mails. As New Holland is nearly opposite Hull, the passage between the two places is only about three miles; but the passage by the Barton Ferry is about 6 miles, and much more hazardous; yet not withstanding these great advantages, the Inn at New Holland had been built several years before the mails which now run to it, and the ferry, by steam and sailing packets, were regularly established; owing to the position of the lessees of the Barton Ferry. Barrow village is about 2 miles from New Holland, and has a spacious street, at the south end of which is an area called the market place, and having an ancient cross
 
A fortnight cattle market was established here a few years ago, but it was soon afterwards discontinued for want of support. A feast is held on October 11th. The manorial rights of the lordship of Barrow, with about 500 acres of ancient demesne, and 364 acres allotted in lieu of the rectorial tithes, at the enclosure in 1799, belong to the crown,and are held on lease by Charles Uppleby, Esq., of Barrow Hall, a neat mansion, pleasantly situated near the south side of the village. New Hall, Oxford; Mrs Hooper, and many small proprietors, have freehold and copyhold estates here. On the marsh, about a mile north of the village, is a large mound of earth, called the Castle, and supposed to have been an entrenched camp of the ancient Britons. Near it are several tumuli, or long barrows, in which human bones have been found. Some authors affirm that the battle of Brunnenburgh was fought here, on the banks of the Humber, in the reign of Athelstan. A little north of  the village is the site of a monastery, said to have been founded by St. Chad, who, about the middle of the seventh century, obtained from Wulfere, King of Mercia, the land of fifty families at Barwe, for the foundation and endowment of a religious house. The pious founder is said to have lived and died here, and the monastery is supposed to have been afterwards the seat of a Saxon Bishop. In digging on the site some years ago, a stone coffin, a valuable gold ring, and an iron weapon in the form of a two pronged fork, were found.
 
The Church( Holy Trinity) is a large ancient structure, except the lofty freestone tower, which is of modern date, and has six musical bells. The walls of the nave and chancel have undergone many patchwork reparations, and have been kept from falling outwards during the last century by heavy buttresses. The chancel was new roofed in 1841, when it was hoped the crown would have also renewed the walls, and thus have stimulated the parishioners to have rebuilt the nave. The impropriate rectory belongs to the crown, as also does the advowson of the vicarage, which is valued in K.B. at 9. 16s., and now at 348, in the incumbency of the Rev. Godfrey Geo. Egremont, M.A. The independents, and the Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel here, and their congregations comprise the greater part of the parishioners. The old glebe is 36A., and the church land 2A. 3R. 20p., allotted at the enclosure, when 5A. 1R. 4p of land was awarded to the parish clerk, in lieu of his ancient right of 8d. and two pecks of wheat and rye yearly, from every "plough-land" in the parish. In 1669, Sir John Nelthorpe bequeathed all his tithes of beans and peas in Barrow, for the support of an afternoon lecturer at the church. At the enclosure, 144A. of land was allotted in lieu of these tithes and it is now let for 160 per annum. The trustees of Brigg Free School are trustees of this estate, and appoint the lecturer, which office has been long held  by the Rev. James Walter, vicar of Market Rasen. The trustees are justly censured for appointing a non-resident lecturer, who never performs the duties of his office, but makes some small allowance to the vicar for performing the afternoon service. In 1728, Richard Beck left, out of Barrow-water-mill, the following yearly rent charges, viz., 2.2s. for schooling six poor children; 10s. 6d., to provide them with books; and 1. 10s., for the sick or lame poor. The poor parishioners have three other yearly rent-charges, viz., 3. 6s. 8d., left by Roger Manners, Esq., in 1596, out of an estate at Winteringham; 2, left by Robert Sargeant, out of a cottage and field here; and 1. 10s., left by Abigail Kirke, out of land now belonging to Mr T.Kirke, together with 10s. for the parish clerk. The pasturage of the occupation roads is let for about 30 per annum which is expended in repairing the highways.
   
   
 
 
Back to top
 
 

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print