Welcome, Guest. Please Login.
NorthLincs.com - Community Website
11. Dec 2017 at 15:19
News: Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
Home Help Search Login


Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thornton Abbey (Read 6644 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator
*****


NorthLincs.com!

Posts: 992
Gender: male
Thornton Abbey
21. Apr 2006 at 17:56
 
Thorton Abbey was founded as a priory in 1139 by William le Gros, the Earl of Yorkshire, and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148. It was a house for Augustinian or black canons. These priests lived a communal life under the Rule of St Augustine but also undertook pastoral duties outside of the Abbey. Officers within the Abbey besides the abbot and prior included a cellarer, bursar, chamberlain, sacrist, kitchener and an infirmer. It is located close to the small North Lincolnshire village of Thornton Curtis.
 
The abbey was closed in 1539 by Henry VIII as part of the dissolution. Thornton was a wealthy and prestigious house valued at the dissolution at the considerable sum of 591 0s 2 d.
 
The founding abbey building from the 12th century was Romanesque in style, but nothing of it remains above ground.
 
The later abbey from the 13th/14th centuries was built in Early Gothic style. Little remains of the building, except for three walls of the chapterhouse and part of the cloister, though the groundplan of the abbey is traced out.
 
The main interest lies in the gatehouse which is amongst the earliest largescale uses of brick in England. It stands two storeys high and is structurally intact. There are few windows in the building, and the internal dimensions are cramped due to the thickness of the walls.
 
The outside of the building is adorned with three almost lifesize statues directly above the gate. A bridge over the moat adjoins the gatehouse and is fortified with walls and guardrobes.
 
Since the dissolution the site has been owned by Henry Randes (the Bishop of Lincoln), Sir Robert Tyrwhitt of Kettleby, Sir Vincent Skinner of Westminster, Sir Robert Sutton, George Appleby and in 1816 Charles, the first Lord Yarborough. In 1938 the fifth earl handed the care of the Abbey remains to HM Office of Works. The site is currently in the care of English Heritage and is open to the public.
 
 
http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/conProperty.386
Back to top
 
« Last Edit: 22. Apr 2006 at 11:25 by YaBB Administrator »  

The Administrator.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print