NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> Horkstow >> Horkstow Bridge
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1151740857

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 01. Jul 2006 at 09:00

Title: Horkstow Bridge
Post by YaBB Administrator on 01. Jul 2006 at 09:00

Horkstow Bridge is one of the earliest surviving suspension bridges in the country. It is unusual small suspension dating back to 1835-6. The bridge has two elegant classical style arched towers made of rusticated stone. The wooden plank decking is suspended by double wrought iron chains. The decking is of a convex shape and moves about when crossing in a car.

Horkstow Bridge was built originally to cross the New River Ancholme to give access to the Brick Kilns that run along the River Banks. This is one of 7 bridges that was built as part of the New River Ancholme Drainage Scheme.
Today, it is used by farmers, ramblers, anglers & cyclists. The bridge is still open to vehicles however there is only a dirt track running along the west bank of the river.

The bridge was designed by Sir John Rennie and is one of a handful in Britain to have remained as originally designed. As a result it is regarded to be of historical importance and was restored in the late 90's. Structural repairs were carried out and the accommodation bridge was re-decked and re-cabled by Spencers who received the Historic Bridge Award in 1999.

NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.