NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> South Ferriby >> Church of St Nicholas
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1151131744

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 24. Jun 2006 at 07:49

Title: Church of St Nicholas
Post by YaBB Administrator on 24. Jun 2006 at 07:49

The church of St Nicholas, which is but the mutilated remnant of a much larger church, is a singular structure, consisting of nave, south transept, north porch and an embattled tower, with pinnacles, at the south-east angle, containing 3 bells: over the porch is an ancient semicircular stone, on which is a sculptured a figure of St Nicholas, vested in alb and mitre, and holding a pastoral staff in his left hand; and on either side are symbolical figures of the sun and moon; in 1869 the church was repewed and restored at a cost of 350, and in 1889 was again restored and a sacrarium built at a cost of 1,092, by the Right Rev. Bishop Tozer D.D. then rector: ....[entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]

NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.