NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> Keadby >> King George V Bridge
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1150811827

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 20. Jun 2006 at 14:57

Title: King George V Bridge
Post by YaBB Administrator on 20. Jun 2006 at 14:57

The bridge known locally known as Keadby Bridge is in fact called the King George V Road Rail Bridge.This was built 200ft downstream of the rail bridge and was opened in 1916 by the King. Prior to the bridge, those wishing to cross the trent by motor vehicle would need to travel to Gainsborough. The bridge design allows it to be pivoted at one end and counterweighted using the 'rolling lift' mechanism to allow shipping to pass. The bridge crosses the Trent to connect the Isle of Axholme to Scunthorpe and the rest of Lincolnshire.

http://www.gunness.org.uk/Bridgex.html

NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.