NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> Epworth >> Whites Gazeteer 1842
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1150555260

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 17. Jun 2006 at 15:41

Title: Whites Gazeteer 1842
Post by YaBB Administrator on 17. Jun 2006 at 15:41

Epworth, an extract from Whites Gazeteer and directory of Lincolnshire 1842
Epworth is a small, but straggling market town, consisting chiefly of one street of detached houses, nearly 2 miles in length, in the central part of the Isle of Axholme, 11 miles N. by W. of Gainsboro`, 4 miles W., of the Trent and 5 miles S., of Crowle.  It increased its population from 1825 in 1831, to 1895 in 1841, and has in its parish 5198A. 1R., of cultivated land, extending eastward to the Trent, and westward towards the old rivers Torne and Idle, and including , Newland, Holme, West Car, Battle-Green, and other scattered farms, the parish has chiefly a low sandy moory soil, and partly an alluvial clay, and has been much improved by draining and warping.  The manorial rights, and about 867 acres of land belong to the Crown, but are held on lease by Thomas Lightfoot, Esq.;  and the rest of the parish belongs to numerous freeholders and copyholders., the latter subject to small certain fines.  The manor of Epworth comprises the parishes of Owston and Haxey, and the chief part of Belton.  It was given by William the Conqueror to Nigel d1Albini, whose descendants assumed the name Mowbray, and were among the most powerful barons of the realm, and for a time Dukes of Norfolk; but being attainted for treason during the wars of the roses, one being banished in 1397, and another beheaded in 1405, their estates here reverted to the Crown, by confiscation.  They had a small castle, near the church, on the site now called Vine-Garth, where a cannon, made of bar iron, was found about 40 years ago, together with other antiquities and the foundations of buildings.

The manor courts are held twice a year,, and petty sessions once a fortnight, in a building in the market place, where a branch of the Hatfield Court of Requests for the recovery of small debts not exceeding £15, is also held, pursuant to an act passed in 1841, by which the jurisdiction of that court has been extended to all the parishes in the Isle of Axholme.  The market is held every Thursday; and two fairs are held yearly on the Thursday after May Day and the Thursday after Michaelmas Day, for the sale of cattle, hemp and flax.  the principal trade of the place is the dressing of flax and hemp, of which great quantities are grown in the neighbourhood, and a few of the inhabitants are employed in the making of rope, sacking, canvass, and linen. The Church (St. Andrew, ) consists of a nave, with aisles, a chancel, and a tower.  The arched entrance to the north porch is richly varied by trefoil flexures; and within it are two shields, bearing the arms of the Mowbray's and Sheffield's.  Amongst the communion plate, the vessel used as the paten is a curious piece of antiquity, formed of maple, with a broad rim of silver gilt, ten inches in diameter, and a large silver button at the bottom, ornamented with a St.  Andrews cross, and the figures of the holy family, surrounded by a moulding, ornamented with rays of glory.  it is supposed to have been originally a wassail bowl, presented to church by one of the Mowbray's.
The rectory, valued in K.B. at £28. 16s. 8d., and now at £925, is in the patronage of the Crown, and incumbency of the Rev. George Beckett, M.A., for whom the Rev. E. Alderson, B.A., officiates.  At the enclosure, in 1795, the tithes were commuted for a yearly modus, which varies every 21 years, according to average price of corn.  The glebe is 46 acres; and the church land, 43a. 1r. 3p., is let for £88 per annum.

Here are four chapels, belonging to the Baptists and the Wesleyan, New Connexion, and Primitive Methodists.  the first has a small endowment, and that belonging to the Wesleyans was rebuilt on a larger scale in 1821.  the expenditure of the overseers of Epworth for the year 1729, was only £92. 2s., but in 1829 it amounted to £963.  the Free School was built and endowed by subscriptions in 1711, and soon afterwards augmented with three acres of land, given by Ann Crossland and Charles Kelsey in 1728 and 1731, and a yearly rent charge of £2, left by Robt. Coggan, in 1713.  An allotment of 3a. 3r. 2p. was awarded to the school at the enclosure, and its endowment now consists of 9a. 2r. 14p., and the above named rent charge, producing altogether £16 per annum for which, and the use of a good house, the master teaches 20 poor children to read, but charges 3s. per quarter for writing.  the poor`s land comprises about 16 acres, of which about 11 acres were left by Richard Brewer in 1687;  and the remainder by persons named Whiteley, Coggan, Maw, Whitelam, Bird, and Thorpe.  The land is let for £37. 3s. per annum, which is distributed yearly among the poor, chiefly in clothing, together with£6. 10s. 10d., arising from eight rent charges, left by Ann Maw (£2) an unknown donor (£1) and persons named Ashmal, Coggan, Skerne, Tanner, Barnard, and Popplewell.  A Carthusian Priory was founded at Epworth, in the reign of Richard 11., by Thomas Mowbray, Earl of Nottingham, but all traces of it are gone.  It was valued at the dissolution at £290. 11s. 7d., and granted to John Candish.



Title: Re: Whites Gazeteer 1842
Post by YaBB Administrator on 17. Jun 2006 at 15:41

The Rev. JOHN WESLEY, M.A., the celebrated founder of the Armenian Methodists, and the son of the Rev. Samuel Wesley, rector of Epworth and Wroot, was born here in 1703, and his brother Charles in 1708.  His parents had 19 children, and he was their second son.  When only six years old the parsonage house was burnt down.  The flames broke out in the night, and John was not missed for some time, but was at length heard crying in the nursery, to which the flames had cut off all access.  His father, in agonising despair, had fallen upon his knees, and commended the soul of his child to God;  when John, having climbed upon a chest, appeared at a window, and the house being low, a tall man was hoisted upon the shoulders of another, and succeeded in taking the boy out, only a few moments before the whole roof fell in.  John Wesley often spoke of this providential deliverance with the deepest gratitude, and it forms the subject of a beautiful engraving, recently published as a memorial of the centenary of Methodism.  He was elected fellow of Lincoln College, Oxford, in 1726; and appointed Greek Lecturer and moderator of the classes.  His father died in 1735, leaving a numerous family in beleaguered circumstances; and in the same year, he and his brother Charles went out to the new colony of Georgia, to preach to the settlers and the Indians; but they returned in 1737.  In 1745, he married Mrs Vizelle, a widow lady with four children, an independent fortune, a jealous disposition, and an outrageous temper; who after tormenting him for twenty years, left his roof for ever, taking with her part of his journals, and many other papers.  He died in 1791, aged 88 years, after labouring indefatigably and successfully, the greater part of his life, to revive, enforce, and defend "the pure, apostolical doctrines and practices of the Primitive Church," in which great work, he was materially assisted by his brother Charles, who composed many of the beautiful hymns used by the Methodists, who now form a numerous and influential body of Christians; but since the days of their founder, they have been divided into several schisms,  the New Connexion, or Kilhamite Methodists; the Primitive Methodists; and the Association, Warrenite Methodists.  Mr Wesley died, and was buried at Lambeth.  His sister, Mrs Mehetabel Wright, was also born at Epworth, and possessed considerable talents.  She produced several beautiful poetic effusions, and when only eight years old, she could read a Greek Testament.  Mr Alexander Kilham, the founder of the "New Connexion," was also a native of this parish, and died in 1798, after fighting hard against the "priestly domination" of the Wesleyan Conference, which, having lost the meek and tolerant spirit of its founder, has occasioned, , at various periods, dissatisfaction and secession.  John and Charles Wesley commenced their pious labours at Oxford, about 1730, and during the remainder of their lives, travelled into all parts of the kingdom, preaching to the poor and the ignorant, inculcating the general part of the doctrine taught by Aminus, a native of Holland, who defended the religious principles of Beza, in opposition to those of John Calvin.

NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.