NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> Hibaldstow >> Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148141268

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 20. May 2006 at 17:07

Title: Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
Post by YaBB Administrator on 20. May 2006 at 17:07

Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900
Hibaldstow is a large parish and village, near the navigable river Ancholme, and on the road from Brigg to Lincoln, three-quarters of a mile south from Scawby station on the main line of the Great Central (late M. S. and L) railway, 4 miles south-west from Brigg, 4 north-east from Kirton-in-Lindsey, 19 north from Lincoln and 163 from London, in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts of Lindsey, east wapentake of Manley, petty sessional division of Winterton, union of Glanford Brigg, county court district of Brigg, rural deanery of Corringham, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The name of this village is to be found in Doomsday Book. The church of St.Hibald is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with vestry, nave of four bays, north aisle and south porch: the chancel was rebuilt about 1866 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, when a sarcophagus, apparently of Saxon date, was found, containing the skeleton of a man of powerful frame, possibly St. Hibald himself: the nave was rebuilt in 1876-7, under the direction of Mr James Fowler, architect of Louth, at a cost of about 1,550; the original tower fell in July 1875, after the old nave had been taken down, but its arch has been rebuilt in the west wall of the present church: the ancient Font is octagonal: the south porch was erected in 1898 at a cost of 70, and at the same time a new organ was provided by subscription, at a cost of 200, to commemorate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1603. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 273, arising from 242 acres of land, with residence, is the gift alternatley of the Bishop of Lincoln and M. H. Dalison esq. and held since 1874 by the Rev. John Thomas Grey M.A. of Durham University. Here is a Weslyan chapel, built in 1814 and seating about 200 persons; a Primitive Methodist, built in 1841, with about 200 sittings; and a Free Methodist chapel, built in 1865 and seating about 250. An iron building has been erected by the vicar near the church, on a site given by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and is used for the Sunday school and for public meetings. In this parish are the remains of an entrenched camp of Roman construction, lying between two small streams; it belongs to the vicar and is known by the name "Gainsthorpe;" the western boundary, 400 yards in length, is very distinct, and the north and south limits can be traced, but the eastern boundary has disappeared: Roman coins and the pavement of a Roman house have been met with near the spot. The Blue Lias Lime and Cement Works of Messrs. H. Parry and Sons Limited, employ a large number of hands; this lime has for a long time been noted as being one of the highest hydraulic limes to be obtained in England. Max Hammond Dalison Esq. of Hamptons, Tonbridge, Kent is lord of the manor. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the Duke of St. Albans P.C. are the principal landowners. The soil is light loam; subsoil, limestone. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 4,550 acres of land and 7 of water; rateable value, 7,479; the population in 1891 was 818.


NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.