NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> Hibaldstow >> RAF Hibaldstow
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144848216

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 12. Apr 2006 at 14:23

Title: RAF Hibaldstow
Post by YaBB Administrator on 12. Apr 2006 at 14:23

RAF Hibaldstow was built as a satellite airfield for RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey in 1941. When the runways were constructed, some of the hardcore was made from material taken from demolished bungalows on the site.

The airfield was commissioned on May 12 1941 when No.255 Squadron took up residence with their Defiant Night Fighters. These planes had been drawn from RAF Kirton-in-Lindsey and made one 'kill': an HE111 which was shot down near Louth on June 5 1941.

In June 1941 the Defiants were replaced by Beaufighter IIs and on 23 September 1941 No.253 (Hyderabad) Squadron from Skeabrea, Orkney arrived. In addition Havocs from Hunsden, Hertfordshire also came to the base.

By the start of 1943, the low risk of night attacks by the Luftwaffe lead to the closure of the airbase (January 23 1943). The airbase re-opened on May 9 1943 for No.53 OTU and once again closed on 15 May 1945. Shortly before closure WAAF Margaret Horton had an 'unexpected ride on the tail of a Spitfire' - which is written up elsewhere.

On August 6, 1947 the station finally closed and during 1960-61 it was sold off for use as agricultural land. It was also used for Sunday markets, as a skid-pan by Lincolnshire Police and by a local parachute club. The control tower was converted to a two storey house in 1976.

NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.