NorthLincs.com
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
A - Z of Towns & Villages >> Hibaldstow >> Origins
http://www.northlincs.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144848183

Message started by YaBB Administrator on 12. Apr 2006 at 14:23

Title: Origins
Post by YaBB Administrator on 12. Apr 2006 at 14:23

Hibaldstow was founded as a Roman legionary 'roadside fort' on the road from Lincoln to the Humber. Later it became a 'posting station' on the same road. The earliest evidence for occupation suggests a date in the late first century. Occupation continued into the late fourth century. There is no Iron Age settlement evidence from the Roman site itself [1].

The name derives from Saint Hygbald - a Northumbrian missionary who came to the area in the latter part of the 7th century. Described as a 'shadowy figure' the missionary became Abbot of Bardney and later a saint. Three churches around the village - then known as Ceceseg - became dedicated to him when he was made a saint. The name 'Hibaldstow' comes from Old English Hygebald+stow, for "holy place where St. Hygebald is buried". From 1066-87 the village was referred to as "Hibaldestowa". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Hiboldestou. Variations in the spelling abound, even within a single document. Some writers have suggested that the name was originally Hubba, a Danish commander or leader. [A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]


NorthLincs.com » Powered by YaBB 2.1!
YaBB © 2000-2005. All Rights Reserved.