Serving North Lincolnshire
| Home | Directory | Local Sites | Shopping | Search | Home Page
 Latest From
We would be grateful of any information & material which can be used on these pages. Thank You.
 Welcome To NORTHLINCS.COM - North Lincolnshire's Community Website

> Home > Places > Barton >  Kelly Directory 1900 >
Barton-upon-Humber - North Lincolnshire

    Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900

Barton-Upon-Humber is a small market town on the south border of the Humber, 10 miles north-east from Brigg and 20 north-west from Grimsby, 6 south-west from Hull by water, 34 north from Lincoln and 165 miles from London; it is in the North Lindsey division of the county and head of a petty sessional division and county court district, in the parts of Lindsey, north division of Yarborough wapentake, union of Glanford Brigg, rural deanery of Yarborough No. 1, archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. A branch of the Great Central (late M. S. and L) railway, 3½ miles in length, was opened in 1849, and runs to New Holland station, and communication is had thence by steam boats to Hull; a new station was built in 1855; there are also horse and cattle boats to Hull and Hessle.
The town was governed by a Local Board, formed Jan 9, 1863, under the “Local Government Act, 1858”, but under the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c.73), it is now under the control of an Urban District Council. The road from Barton to Riseholme was constructed in 1765. Gas works were erected in 1846, at a cost of upwards of £3,000, and enlarged in 1856. Water works were erected in 1889, on a hill on the Caistor road and an underground reservoir constructed with a capacity of 125,000 gallons, together with annexed buildings: these works were subsequently abandoned, but in 1897 the Barton-on-Humber Water Company Limited was formed and empowered by the Barton Water Order, confirmed by the “Water Order Confirmation Act, 1897,” sunk a well, 117 feet deep, in the chalk formation, supplemented by a 12 inch bore hole at the bottom; this well supplies a reservoir holding 200,000 gallons, and water now is laid on to most of the houses.
There are two churches in this town – St. Peter’s and St. Mary’s. St. Peter’s the mother church, is a spacious building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, with some Perpendicular insertions and additions, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, vestry, north and south porches and a western tower containing 6 bells, the oldest of which is dated 1666, and a clock, presented by the late Miss. Tombleson and placed in the tower in November, 1852 at a cost of £120. The great feature of this church is its celebrated tower, a short, massive structure with very thick walls, originally of three stages, and now 70 feet high and 18 feet square; the upper portion of the tower is certainly Norman, of early date, but the architectural construction of the lower stages is so entirely different from that above as to lead to the conclusion that these remains are undoubtedly Saxon work. The two lower stages are ornamented by strips or ribs of stone projecting vertically from the walls and breaking into arches near the top of each stage: this part retains also the long and short quoin and rib stones, with the baluster window, for what appears to have been the original belfry story, before the addition of the Norman belfry: extending westward from the tower is a small building also apparently Saxon, with long and short work at the angles, and windows splayed on both sides; the east window of the north aisle is especially interesting from its centre mullion bearing, in high relief, a mutilated figure of Our Lord upon the Cross, with the Virgin and St. John on either side; near this window are a piscina and aumbry: the south aisle also retains a piscina; the east window of the chancel retains some old glass, including two figures, one of pilgrim with staff, wallet and book, and another of a knight in mail and plate armour, with surcoat and shield, each bearing a cross. These figures appear from the costume of belong to the time of Edward II and represent St. George of England and St. James the Great. There is a memorial window to Mr. Marriott, erected in 1842; one to the Rev. George Uppleby, vicar from 1834, placed in 1856; to Mrs. Uppleby, erected by her children in 1858; and to Mr. Lunn, inserted in 1862; there are other memorials in the church to Jane, wife of John Shipsea, rector of Saxby, ob. 1696; Anthony Empringham, yeoman ob. 1698; and to Mr. Cole a former vicar: the organ, a memorial of Ricahrd Eddie esq. was erected in March, 1856 by W.H Eddie esq. And the Rev. Richard Eddie M.A, vicar here 1843-5: the building was extensively restored in 1858, under the direction of Mr.Broderick, at a cost of £1,400, when the nave was new roofed and the interior reseated and generally refitted, including the introduction of a new organ, pulpit and font; the communion plate includes a flagon dated 1754 and a paten 1764: this church was again restored in 1898, at a cost of over £2,000, including the providing of a new organ: there are 760 sittings.
The church of St. Mary, which stands within 150 yards of St. Peter’s and was originally only a chapel of ease to that church, is a building of stone in the Norman, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, with south chapel dedicated to St. James, celerestoried nave, aisles, south porch, vestry and an embattled western tower, 74 feet in height, with seven pinnacles, and containing 4 bells, the oldest of which was cast in 1666. The most ancient portions of the church are the Transition Norman piers of the north aisle: the tower, south arcade and south porch are Early English: in the chancel is a large slab of blue stone, with a brass effigy standing on two butts or tuns, shield with merchant’s marks, an inscribed scroll, evangelistic symbols and a marginal inscription to Simon Seman, vintner, alderman and sheriff of London (1425), ob. August 10, 1433. There are other inscribed stones to Richard Harbod, chaplain, ob. 1470: William Cannon, ob. 1401 and one to Jacob Wymyrke, chaplain to John de Lynewode, merchant: the chapel of St. James retains sedilia: there is a piscina and an aumbry in the north aisle and sedilia, piscina and a lepers’ window in the south aisle and a large and massive oak chest bound with iron. The organ was erected by subscription in July 1856, at a cost of £200: divine service was suspended in this church during the years 1816-18 in consequence of the precarious condition of the roof; this have been renewed and other repairs effected, at a cost of £1,200, the church was re-opened in 1819. In 1883 the chancel was completely restored and refitted, at a cost of £750; the pulpit was presented by William Hesseltine esq. Of Beaumoncote, in memory of his son, and a brass lectern by Mrs. Eddie, as a memorial to her husband: in the south aisle is a memorial window to Ann, wife of George Tinn, surgeon, erected in 1890; new communion plate was given in 1884; in 1891-2 the nave and tower were thoroughly restored and the interior generally refitted and decorated at a cost of about £1,500; there are about 700 sittings. The register of St. Peter’s dates from the year 1566, that of St. Mary’s from the year 1569. The united parishes of St. Peter and St. Mary form a vicarage, net yearly value £290, with residence in the gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and held since 1894 by the Rev. Herbert George Charles North-Cox.
The Catholic church, dedicated to St. Augustine and erected in 1840, has 90 sittings: the Wesleyan chapel was rebuilt in 1861 at a cost of upwards of £2,000; it will seat about 1,100 persons: a Mission chapel in connection with the above was erected at Waterside in 1882: the Congregational chapel built in 1806 has 400 sittings: and the Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1867, will seat 600.
Barton Cemetery, covering a space about 4½ acres, was consecrated in 1867, and has two mortuary chapels; it is managed by the urban district council.
The Corn Exchange, built in 1853, at a cost of about £1,000 underwent various alterations in 1888; the ground floor is now used as a Drill Hall, and the upper portion by the Constitutional Club; the Police station, with magistrates room was build in 1847; there is a Temperance Hall, erected in 1843, at a cost of £700, and seating 600 persons; and an Oddfellow’s Hall built in 1866 with sittings for 500 persons; the Liberal Club in Queen street was erected in 1893; the St. Matthew’s Lodge of Freemasons, No.1447 has premises in Brigg road.
The Literary Institute in Chapel lane, built in 1874, consists of a large reading room, chess room and lending and reference libraries, containing about 2,000 volumes.
The chief trades of the town are malting, brick and tile and cement making, and the manufacture of chemical manures, rope and whiting; there are also several corn mills, a brewery and a candle manufactory.
The market day is Monday. A fair is held on Trinity Thursday for horses, cattle and sheep.
Charities – Long and Fountain’s charities produce £20 a year, from which three scholarships for poor children are maintained at the Hull Grammar School. In 1879, William Trippe, of Barton, left an estate, consisting of 57a, 3r. 10p the rents to be expended in clothing six poor people; this devise, known as the “Bluecoat Charity,” has an income of about £200 yearly; 60 poor men and women are annually clothed out of this fund, and as, by a rule of the trustees, three years must intervene before the same recipient can again participate, 180 poor people are benefited by this charity every three years; secretary and solicitor to the charity, H.R. Dix, Whitecross street. Magdalen George of Barrow in 1729 left certain land at Barrow from the surplus rents of which 16 grey great coats are distributed annually, secretary and solicitor to the charity H.E. mason, Whitecross Street. About £50 a year, derived from various charities, is distributed in coals to the poor; and the interest of £300, left by Alice Ingle, of Chapel Allerton, Leeds in 1830, and of £100, left by Magdalen George, of Barrow and £200 by G.Uppleby, of Leeds is distributed monthly in bread, or annually in coals.
In 1840 the late Joel Tombleson, of Barton, gave a yearly rent-charge of £5 to provide books for the Church Sunday School and in 1861 J.Gilby Uppleby esq. Of Leeds, left £200 for the benefit of the National schools, and a similar sum for distribution among the poor houses-holders, at the vicar’s discretion.
The interest of the proceeds of the sale of the “Town Houses” and of the old workhouse, bequeathed by Thomas Benton, of Barton in 1701, and the rents of Paradise close and two acres of land near the Haven, the bequest of Thomas Holland, of Barton 1669, produced about £15 yearly; by a scheme of the Charity Commissioners, dated 3rd December, 1875, the churchwardens and overseers of the parishes of St. Peters and St. Mary were appointed trustees of this charity, the new income of which is to be applied for the benefit of the necessitous resident inhabitants, by providing them with clothes, bedding, fuel, medical aid, food or pecuniary aid in special cases, but in no case to apply the same to the relief of the poor rates; in 1888 Nathaniel Easton bequeathed £150, the interest of which is distributed among the poor by the vicar.

Barton is a town of great antiquity: in the Domesday Survey it is called “Bereton” and is stated to have contained a church, a priest, two mills of 40s, a market and a ferry of £4 value. It was held at an early period by the family of de Gant, of whom Gilbert de Gant, son of Baldwin, Earl of Flanders, accompanied the Conqueror to England and had a grant of this lordship. In 1359 on the invasion of Brittany by Edward III, Barton furnished eight ships and 121 men: in 1730 the south side of the market-place was brunt down, and in 1762, 1768, 1817 and 1821 there were violent storms, floods and very severe weather. The inclosure and allotment of the parish was effected under an Act Of Parliament obtained in 1793, the area being then 5,920 acres, and the award of the Commissioners was made August 12, 1796.

Barney Hall, the residence of Mrs Holt, is an early Georgian mansion, standing in ground of about 2½ acres. Baysgarth Park, the residence of Robert Wright Taylor esq. Barrister-at-law, is beautifully situated in a well timbered park, some of the elm trees being from 200 to 300 years old; it was formerly the seat of the Nelthorpe family, Sir John the last baronet died here in 1799, and is buried in St. Peters church. George Martinson esq. Of New Hall, Goxhill, is lord of the manor of Barton, which is co-extensive with the parish: most of the copyholders have enfranchised their holdings and as the lord of the manor offers every facility for their doing so, the whole of the copyholds will probably ‘soon be enfranchised.’ Henry John Hope Barton esq. Of Saxby All Saints is the chief landowner.
The population in 1891 was 5,201; the area of the parishes is 6,325 acres of land, 20 of water, 695 of tidal water and 143 of foreshore, rateable value £22,745.
By a Local Government Board Order which came into operation March 25, 1887, the parishes of St. Mary and St. Peter were amalgamated and to be know as Barton-upon-Humber.

Parish Clerk, William Cross.
Deputy, Edward Daddy.


© Copyright 2003 - 2005 / HUB Computer Services

| Services  |  About Us | Contact Us | Terms of Site | Copyright Notice | Help | HUB Computer Services |