North Lincolnshire Community Web Site HUB Computer Services
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from the Discover Barton group pool. Make your own badge here.
Place-name & its Origins - Barton-upon-Humber - North Lincolnshire

The Doomsday Book (1086) referred to the town as "Bertune".

Other names - for the town include Bartuna, Baertun.
The name - can be translated to 'the barley farm, the outlying grange by the River Humber'. No doubt so named in relation to Barrow upon Humber.


Barton was developed due to its prime position by the banks of the River Humber. In the 11th Century Barton was the most important port & trading centre in the region. Through the years Barton continued to be an important town with thriving brick, tile and ropemaking industries. As a result of the wealth of the town many Georgian and Victorian buildings were constructed.

The Corn Exchange, built in 1853, at a cost of about £1,000 underwent various alterations in 1888; the ground floor is now used as a Drill Hall, and the upper portion by the Constitutional Club; the Police station, with magistrates room was build in 1847; there is a Temperance Hall, erected in 1843, at a cost of £700, and seating 600 persons; and an Oddfellow’s Hall built in 1866 with sittings for 500 persons; the Liberal Club in Queen street was erected in 1893; the St. Matthew’s Lodge of Freemasons, No.1447 has premises in Brigg road. ....[Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]
Barton is a town of great antiquity: in the Domesday Survey it is called “Bereton” and is stated to have contained a church, a priest, two mills of 40s, a market and a ferry of £4 value. It was held at an early period by the family of de Gant, of whom Gilbert de Gant, son of Baldwin, Earl of Flanders, accompanied the Conqueror to England and had a grant of this lordship. In 1359 on the invasion of Brittany by Edward III, Barton furnished eight ships and 121 men: in 1730 the south side of the market-place was brunt down, and in 1762, 1768, 1817 and 1821 there were violent storms, floods and very severe weather. The inclosure and allotment of the parish was effected under an Act Of Parliament obtained in 1793, the area being then 5,920 acres, and the award of the Commissioners was made August 12, 1796. .... [Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]


Genealogy Links

Population Through The Years

Year - Population 1801 - 1709
1811 - 2204
1821 - 2496
1831 - 3233
1841 - 3475
1851 - 3866
1861 - 3797
1871 - 4332
1881 - 5339
1891 - 5226
1901 - 5671
1911 - 6673
1921 - 6453
1931 - 6332
1941 - N/A
1951 - 6232
1961 - 6582
1971 - 7522
1981 - 8524
1991 - 9431