Serving North Lincolnshire
| Home | Directory | Local Sites | Shopping | Search | Home Page
 Latest From
We would be grateful of any information & material which can be used on these pages. Thank You.
 Welcome To NORTHLINCS.COM - North Lincolnshire's Community Website

> Home > Places > Barrow > 
Barrow-upon-Humber - North Lincolnshire

    Discover Barrow - North Lincolnshire

Barrow-upon-Humber is located three miles east of Barton. Barrow is an ancient Christian site where a monastery was founded by St Chad in the seventh century. The monastery was built on land given by Wilfhere, King of Mercia.
In the 9th century the vikings raided Barrow & destroyed the monastic settlement. The village was once of great strategic importance judging by the huge motte and bailey castle constructed in the 11th century which once stood here.

John Harrison lived in Barrow & is famous for the inventing first, practical marine-chronometer.

Discover More About the Surrounding Area
| Barton-upon-Humber | Brigg |
Top |

    The Location
The Location - 2 miles south from the Humber, 2 miles south-west from New Holland & 1¾ south from Barrow Haven 2½ east from Barton and 5 south-south-west from Hull.

Maps & Aerial Photographs
| Map of Barrow | Aerial Photograph | Top |

    The Place-name & its Origins
In 737-40 the village was referred to as "Bwaruwe".
Other names - for the village include Bearwe, Beruwe & Barewe upon Humbre.
The name - can be translated to 'the wood or grove by the River Humber'.


There is a ferry across the Humber to Hull. The village is lighted with gas by the Barrow on Humber Gas Co. Ltd, formed in 1877, who bought the works from the Provincial Gas Light and Coke Co.
....[Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]

Here are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist and Congregational chapels. In 1856 a cemetery was formed, at a cost of £1,000, with an area of 4 acres: it has two chapels, and is now under the control of the Parish Council. The charities left in 1596 by Roger, 5th Earl of Rutland, amount to £14 2s. 6d. yearly, of which £7 6s. 8d. is distributed among the poor by the vicar and churchwardens. Barrow Fair is held on October 11th.
.... [Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]

About a mile to the north - west of the village, on the marsh, is an earthwork called "The Castle" in about 8 acres, and consists of a large circular mound, surrounded by a fosse 40 feet wide, and surmounted by a small tumulus: round this are grouped several irregularly shaped outworks, also enfossed: the fortification was well protected on the south by a stream which formerly created a swamp or bog in that direction.
..... [Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]

A little to the north of the village is the site of a convent, founded by St. Chad in the 7th century and which Bede says remained in his time (673 -735): some years ago stone coffins, a gold ring, an iron weapon and other relics were found here. Barrow Hall, a well-built mansion of brick, on the south side of the village, is now the residence of the Rev. George Crowle Uppleby, and stands within a park of 150 acres. The manorial rights, which belonged to the Crown, were sold in the year 1859. The lords of the manor are Henry Edwards Paine and Richard Brettell esqrs. Both of Chertsey, Surrey.
..... [Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]


     Population Through The Years

Year - Population
Year - Population
1801 - 926
1811 - 1129
1821 - 1307
1831 - 1334
1841 - 1662
1851 - 2283
1861 - 2443
1871 - 2517
1881 - 2711
1891 - 2695
1901 - 2808
1911 - 2734
1921 - 2959
1931 - 2905
1941 - N/A
1951 - 2719
1961 - 2475
1971 - 2219
1981 - 2502
1991 - 2161

     Church of the Holy Trinity
The church of the Holy Trinity is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch, organ chamber and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, which have been re-hung, at a cost of £130: a stained triplet of lancets was inserted in 1856: the chancel retains a piscina and aumbry: there are several stained windows and choir stalls of oak, erected mainly at the cost of Mrs. Maw, of The Grange: the church plate was presented by an ancestor of the late Mr. Kirk, of Barrow: the church was partially restored in 1841 and 1856, and again in the year 1869, at a cost of £1,400, under the direction of Messrs. Kirk and Parry architects, of Sleaford; in 1868 the church was reseated and further restored: there are sittings for 397 persons. .....[entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]


    Local Links


Royal Oak
High Street
DN19 7DB
01469 535101

| Map | Microsite |

Six Bells
Lords Lane
DN19 7BX

01469 530278

| Map | Microsite |
Haven Inn
Barrow Haven
DN19 7EY

01469 530247

| Map | Microsite |

© Copyright 2003 - 2005 / HUB Computer Services

| Services  |  About Us | Contact Us | Terms of Site | Copyright Notice | Help | HUB Computer Services |