APPLEBY is a parish and pleasant village on the
Roman road 'Ermine Street', with a station on the
Doncaster and Grimsby section of the Great Central
(late M.S and L) railway, 2 miles south from the
village, 23 miles east-north-east from Doncaster,
7 miles north west from Brigg, 2 ½ south
east from Winterton and 170 ½ from London,
in the North Lindsey division of the county, parts
Lindsey, north division of Manley wapentake, union
and county court district of Brigg, petty sessional
division of Winterton, rural deanery of Manlake,
archdeaconry of Stow and diocese of Lincoln. The
church of St Bartholomew is an edifice of stone,
in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel,
clerestoried nave of three bays, aisles, south porch
and embattled western tower with pinnacles containing
5 bells and a clock presented in 1882 by William
Coulman Brown of this parish: the exterior was restored
in 1868 and in 1882 the church was new roofed, the
nave and tower partly rebuilt and the interior reseated
in oak at a cost of £3,540, chiefly defrayed
by the Rev. Canon John Edw. Cross M.A. vicar 1856
- 91 and Lord St. Oswald: there are 210 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1600. The living
is a vicarage net yearly value £134 including
9 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of Lord
St. Oswald, of Nostell Priory near Wakefield, and
of Appleby Hall and held since 1892 by the Rev.
Alexander Titley Hall M.A of Magdalen College, Oxford.
At Thornholme, 2 miles south east are the ruins
of a priory of Augustinian canons founded by King
Stephen (1135-54) and dedicated to St Mary; at its
dissolution there were 10 canons and revenues valued
at £105. In the village are the remains of
an ancient cross. Here are iron works belonging
to a limited company. The reading room here was
established in 861. Appleby Hall, an ancient mansion,
is the residence of the Dowager Lady St Oswald.
Lord St Oswald is lord of the manor and principle
landowner. The soil is partly loam and gravely;
subsoil limestone. There is a valuable bed of ironstone.
The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats and potatoes.
The area is 5,693 acres; rateable value £9,006;
the population in 1891 was 610 - viz. 584 in Appleby
township and 26 in Raventhorpe township 6 miles
north east; the area of Raventhorpe is 471 acres;
rateable value £391.
from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900