NORTHLINCS.COM - North Lincolnshire's Community Website Home Page
| Home | Forum - Message Boards  | Local Links Directory |

> Home > Alkborough >  Places of Worship > 
Alkborough - North Lincolnshire
Parish Church of Saint John the Baptist
The Church of St John the Baptist which dates back to the 1052 and has a replica of Julian's Bower on the floor of the south porch and in the chancel window. John Oldrid Scott restored the church in the late 1880's & was partly rebuilt by Thomas a Becket's murderers. It is home to a functioning Harrison clock.

North Lincolnshire
DN15 9JF

The church of St John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles containing a clock and 3 bells, on the second of which is the inscription-


The font is Norman: the church was restored and reseated in oak and the chancel rebuilt in 1887 at a cost of £1,400: there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Whitton, net yearly value £250, including 117 acres of glebe, with residence, erected in 1871 at a cost of £2,000, in the alternate gift of the Bishop of Lincoln and J. Goulton-Constable esq. and held since 1883 by the Rev Benjamin Hunter BA of the University of London. The tithes of Alkborough were amongst the earliest endowments of the monastery of Spalding when founded by the Sheriff Thorold in 1052, and it was probably at this time that the church was built.....[Entry from Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900] 

| Top |

Wesleyan Chapel
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1840.

John Wesley first visited & preached in Alkborough in 1743.

| Top |

Methodist Church
Alkborough Methodist Church
Front Street
DN15 9JW

Scunthorpe Circuit

Services: Weekly on Sundays, mainly 6pm - very occasionally the services are at 10.30am or 3pm, but only about twice a year.

| Top |

Primitive Methodist Chapel

The Primitive Methodist chapel, erected in 1864. A reading room was formed for the parish in 1882. An annual sum of £6, derived from the sale of the old almshouses, together with thirty-two shillings, being a charge on the manor, is distributed yearly at the discretion of trustees.

....[Entry From Kelly's Trade Directory for 1900]

| Top |

Cemetery & Churchyard
The Anglican churchyard is now closed as a cemetery.

In 1905 James Goultan-Constable donated land for a new burial ground.

| Top |

Walcot Chapel & Burial Ground
The Abbey of Peterborough had at one time a chapel and burial ground in Walcot.

| Top |

© Copyright 2003 - 2006 / HUB Computer Services

| Services  |  About Us | Contact Us | Terms of Site | Copyright Notice | Help | HUB Computer Services |